More than a thousand years ago, Amaterasu of Ise, the Sun Godess, appeared in the mountains of Hangaya (the area which is called Hodogaya today) in Musasi Province.
In 1225 the shrine was removed to Miyabayashi in Shimo-Hodogaya after several times removal and another shrine was build at Godo in response to a divine oracle. Manpukuji and Shinshoji were also build as attached temples. Later the shrine was given extensive possessions as the protecting deity for eight villages in Hodogaya, and was served by tens of shinto priests, who held seventy-five rituals a year.
In the following wartime the shrine declined once, but it was reconstructed and were given recognition of its possessions when Shogun Ieyasu Tokugawa entered the province in 1590. Later it was removed to its existing place from thae top of Godo mountain and in 1619 it saw reconstruction and arrangement of its precinct. The building which was build at that time is existent through several times repairs. One repair in 1868 was performed with the material which had been used for building Horen, the special garege for the Emperor's car, made in Hodogaya when Emperor Meiji went to Tokyo.